Featured Auto Insurance

Auto Insurance

Auto Insurance

The Sacca Insurance Agency offers terrific auto insurance coverage for those living in the state of Kentucky and provides personal auto insurance services for the residents of Kentucky and the nearby areas.

Kentucky is a "no-fault" insurance state with higher minimum limits for auto insurance coverage than many others states. Under the Kentucky Financial Responsibility Law, the insurance of each vehicle-owner covers the driver, the occupants, and damage to that vehicle in the case of an accident. There are minimum insurance requirements for personal liability coverage and coverage for property damage as well.

Anyone who registers a vehicle in Kentucky and has Kentucky license plates on the vehicle must have the following minimum insurance coverage

  • $10,000 for personal injury protection (PIP)
  • $25,000 in coverage for any other person injured in an accident
  • A total of up to $50,000 to cover all injured persons per accident
  • $10,000 coverage for property damage

The Department of Transportation (DOT) regulates the requirements for auto insurance in the state of Kentucky. The DOT assumes any vehicle with Kentucky license plates is operating in the state. The DOT receives constant updates about insurance coverage from the insurance companies based on the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of each vehicle registered in Kentucky.

Penalties for failure to maintain the minimum auto insurance in Kentucky are, a monetary fine of $500 up to $1,000, up to 90 days incarceration, or both.

If the vehicle is not operating at all or is located out of state, it is best to turn in the Kentucky license plates to un-register the vehicle to terminate the minimum auto insurance requirements. This avoids the application of severe penalties should insurance coverage lapse.

Turning the license plates in, takes the vehicle out of the Kentucky DOT system. After that, it cannot operate in Kentucky unless it is re-registered. Moving out of state is one example that causes this. Serving in the military may cause this condition temporarily.

A vehicle for seasonal use, like an RV, may not need full insurance coverage all year long. It may be a better deal to un-register an RV at the end of the season and re-register it with the DOT at the beginning of the season in the following year. Regardless of an RV's status as being temporarily out of operation, it still needs coverage for loss or damage that might occur while the vehicle is in storage.

This is an example of a customized insurance coverage solution that consultation with one of our independent insurance agents at Sacca Insurance Agent will help organize. Contact us at 270-524-2621 , use the online system to get an auto insurance quote, or visit our offices in Kentucky.